Carrot chocolate chip cake with lemon cream cheese frosting
This delectable wintery cake is packed with a lot of cinnamon and ginger giving the carrots a festive feel. The brown sugar and chocolate chips give it a beautiful crumb.
What you will need:
- 350 gm carrots, grated
- 150 gm chocolate chips
- 200 gm flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1 teaspoon finely grated ginger
- 3 eggs
- 150 ml vegetable oil
- 150 gm brown sugar
- 60 gm curd hung to drain excess water
For frosting :
- 125 gm cream cheese, cold
- 50 gm unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 300 gm icing sugar, sifted
What to do:
- In a bowl sift together flour + baking powder + cinnamon.
- In another large bowl, whisk brown sugar and oil together.
- Add the eggs one at a time incorporating fully before adding the next one.
- To this mixture add the hung curd, vanilla essence and grated ginger. Mix well.
- Add flour mixture to it and mix it till you see no streaks of flour.
- Gently fold in grated carrots and chocolate chips.
- Line the bottom of an 8 or 9 inch pan with parchment paper and butter the sides.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 170C for 40-45 minutes.
- For frosting, mix all the ingredients together til it forms a smooth paste. Refrigerate it for 2 hours before using.
- Once the cake cools down completely, frost it with the cream cheese frosting and decorate with chopped pistachios or rose petals.
- Instead of chocolate chips you can use chopped and toasted walnuts or pecans or even cashews.
- Carrot cakes are usually moist and denser because of the carrots. But to check if it is baked, insert a skewer and check if any batter sticks to it. If yes, bake a little more.
- Especially for this cake I felt that you should not skip the frosting. It gives a very delicate balanced flavour to the carrot cake.