Carrot chocolate chip cake with lemon cream cheese frosting
This delectable wintery cake is packed with a lot of cinnamon and ginger giving the carrots a festive feel. The brown sugar and chocolate chips give it a beautiful crumb.
What you will need:
- 350 gm carrots, grated
- 150 gm chocolate chips
- 200 gm flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1 teaspoon finely grated ginger
- 3 eggs
- 150 ml vegetable oil
- 150 gm brown sugar
- 60 gm curd hung to drain excess water
For frosting :
- 125 gm cream cheese, cold
- 50 gm unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 300 gm icing sugar, sifted
What to do:
- In a bowl sift together flour + baking powder + cinnamon.
- In another large bowl, whisk brown sugar and oil together.
- Add the eggs one at a time incorporating fully before adding the next one.
- To this mixture add the hung curd, vanilla essence and grated ginger. Mix well.
- Add flour mixture to it and mix it till you see no streaks of flour.
- Gently fold in grated carrots and chocolate chips.
- Line the bottom of an 8 or 9 inch pan with parchment paper and butter the sides.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 170C for 40-45 minutes.
- For frosting, mix all the ingredients together til it forms a smooth paste. Refrigerate it for 2 hours before using.
- Once the cake cools down completely, frost it with the cream cheese frosting and decorate with chopped pistachios or rose petals.
- Instead of chocolate chips you can use chopped and toasted walnuts or pecans or even cashews.
- Carrot cakes are usually moist and denser because of the carrots. But to check if it is baked, insert a skewer and check if any batter sticks to it. If yes, bake a little more.
- Especially for this cake I felt that you should not skip the frosting. It gives a very delicate balanced flavour to the carrot cake.
Cherry Cream Cheese Pound cake!
Everything about this cake sounds dreamy. It is an indulgent affair and not for the whole-wheat-carrot-cake type of a day.
Pound Cakes are heavy. With so many eggs in them they can be filling. But so delicious and creamy. And add some cream cheese in the mix, you have a delectable buttery, cheesy cake. The mild tartness of the cherries goes very well with the cake and makes it very flavourful.
Cherries are in season right now, and I must have used about 40-50 un-pitted cherries on top of the cake I love how that looks. My little baby boy Arjun helped me make the decoration and gave me one cherry at a time while I placed it on the cake. Loved doing that.
This cake serves 8, has to be sliced thinly while serving. Perhaps with a cup of coffee, like the French.
Cherry Cream Cheese Pound Cake
What you will need:
- 3 cups maida – all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 and 1/2 cup butter at room temperature
- 220 gram cream cheese, I use D’lecta
- 2 and 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 6 large eggs
Cream Cheese Chocolate Frosting
- 125 gram cream cheese, cold
- 50 gram Amul butter
- 300 grams icing sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- Fresh cherries for decoration
What to do :
- For the cake, sift the all purpose flour + baking powder + baking soda and keep it aside.
- In another bowl, whisk room temperature butter and cream cheese together, add vanilla extract.
- Now add granulated sugar and whisk.
- Add the eggs one at a time, whisking till it gets fully incorporated.
- Pre-heat oven to 180C.
- Line two 8 inch pans with a parchment paper at the bottom and butter and flour the sides.
- Pour the prepared batter in the pans and bake in a pre-heated oven for 25-30 minutes till a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Remove from the pan and let the cakes cool completely before frosting.
- To make the frosting, take all the ingredients in a bowl and whisk till it comes together to form a smooth frosting.
- Place one cake on a plate or a wooden board, frost it lightly and then place the second cake on top. Again frost the sides lightly, scraping of any excess frosting.
- Put about 1/4 cup of frosting on top of the cake and spread evenly.
- Put the cake int he fridge for 10 minutes so that the frosting sets a bit before placing the cherries on top.
- If you live in a hot humid place, it is better to keep the cake in the fridge. Bring it to room temperature for half hour before serving.
- The mild cocoa flavour in the frosting helps balance the cheesy frosting.
- The pound cake recipe is taken from Joy of Baking