I have never been skinny. Neither am I fat. But I am fatter than I was before I got married and I am skinnier than sometime in the future. And although I prefer a skinnier me, I am always fatter than the skinnier myself. And sometimes between all of this skinny fatty business I am just me.
I cringe when the first thing people , or specially women, say to each other is “You look slim/ you look fat.” And if you are meeting someone after a long time, then I don’t think anybody can see anything except how marginally thinner or marginally fatter you have become. I hate it to the point that I assume it was never remarked and move on with a smile. I have done some amazing things and some not so good ones from the last time that I saw you, and I am sure you have too. Lets talk about that. Lets talk about the world, politics, kids, baking, cooking projects, books, music, anything but the thin/fat small talk.
Now I am not a supporter of carrying extra baggage on your belly, thighs and other places. It comes with a whole lot of other problems and we definitely don’t want that. We want to be fit and energetic. Exercise, eat right, and feel good. We always endeavor to get at least 3-4 hours of exercise every week. Be it walking, yoga, playing badminton, going on a hike or other stuff. And I love to discuss the nuances of a good game or an excellent brisk walk. But that’s about it.
A few weeks back I read an article on the internet about a little girl’s distress when she hears her mom being called fat all the time, when in her opinion she is the most beautiful woman. From her mother’s descriptions, she derives the meaning of the word fat to be ugly and unattractive. And it shatters her belief, because moms never lie.
My mom had gained some weight after her second pregnancy, but thankfully for me I never saw her unnecessarily fret over it. She is beautiful, very energetic and her hugs would envelop us with all the warmth ever possible. And I would keep my head on her lap and sleep, and what a comforting feeling that
was is. I can’t imagine hugging a skinny mom, I need to feel her when she holds me close, I need her to “bear-hug” me.
I still have to go a long way in life. There will be pregnancy(ies), weight gain, weight loss (which hardly happens), kids, running around them, then they growing up and leaving home and us growing old. And my body and its shape and size will be altered over the course of time, like never before. But I sincerely hope, that in all this roller-coaster of life, I look at the bigger things (pun intended) always. 🙂
P.s : Of course, in my mind I am always thinking of losing those 5 kgs so that I can fit into that little back dress I got 3 years back. Oh, women!
On that skinny dipping note, hers a small little black dessert. Full of sprinkles and a pop-it-in-your-mouth demeanor.
It is single-handedly capable of fulfilling your chocolate craving and festive enough to pull you out of the winter blues. If you have any. In Mumbai, we are thrilled at the temperatures dripping to 21°C!
Funfetti Chocolate Cake pops:
I adapted the chocolate cake recipe from Brown Eyed Baker Black Forest Cake. Makes about 50-60 cake pops.
What you will need :
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1½ tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp rose/ vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- 6-8 tbsp of cream for binding the cake pops
- Chocolate or candy melt for the frosting
- Sprinkles/ Funfetti to decorate
What to do :
- Preheat the oven 350 degrees F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans.
- Whisk together the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer for 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Divide batter between the two prepared pans.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until thin knife inserted into center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely.
- Once completely cooled, crumble the cake completely with your hands or with a knife.
- Add the cream to the crumbled cake and mix well. Almost as if kneading for a few minutes.
- Scoop out small portions and roll them in your palm to make a round ball.
- Insert a toothpick or a lollypop stick in one end and refrigerate for at least half an hour so that it chills completely.
- Melt chocolate pieces or candy melt in a heatproof bowl in microwave or over double boiler.
- Gently, holding the toothpick or lollipop stick, roll the cake pop in the chocolate, tap it a few times on the bowl and sprinkle sugar sprinkles on it.
- Chill the ready decorated cake pops on a silicone baking mat or an oiled parchment paper for half hour.
- Your stunning cake pops are ready to serve.
- Slightly underbake the cake, we want it to be soft and not crisp. Cut off the edges if they have become crusty.
- The sugar crystals/ funfetti have to be sprinkled on the cake pops when the chocolate is still liquid and not hardened, so that it can stick well.
- You can used any sweet flavored butter/ ganache/ frosting in place of cream for binding the cake pops. Add a spoonful at a time to achieve the right rollable consistency without making it too sticky.
Such lovely pics. The pops look amazing.
And I totally agree with you on hugging an, errr… well-proportioned mom. Nothing beats that!
For most recent news you have to go to see web and on the web
I found this web page as a best website for newest updates.
What i do not realize is if truth be told how you are no longer really
much more neatly-favored than you may be right now. You are
very intelligent. You realize thus considerably in terms
of this topic, produced me individually imagine it from numerous
varied angles. Its like women and men don’t seem
to be involved until it’s one thing to accomplish with Girl gaga!
Your individual stuffs outstanding. All the time deal with it up!
I see a lot of interesting posts on your page.
You have to spend a lot of time writing, i know how
to save you a lot of work, there is a tool that creates unique,
SEO friendly posts in couple of minutes, just type in google – k2 unlimited content
Great blog right here! Also your site loads up fast! What host are you the
usage of? Can I am getting your associate link for your host?
I desire my site loaded up as quickly as yours lol