For the Daring Kitchen challenge in September, I made a trio of modak. One of them is this fried modak with a desiccated coconut filling. It is delicious and can be stored for upto a week in an air tight container.
Step-by-step recipe :
Fried Coconut Modaks
What you will need:
- 100 grams desiccated coconut (khopra)
- 2 tablespoon dry fruit powder (comprising of 4 almonds, 4 unsalted pistachios and 4 cashews)
- 5 tablespoon sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tablespoon milk powder
- 3 tablespoon water
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder
For the covering / shell :
- 1 heaped cup all purpose flour (145 grams)
- 2 and 1/2 tablespoon heated oil
- 1 tablespoon rice flour
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For frying :
- 2 cups vegetable oil
What to do:
- To make the filling, pulse dessicated coconut in a mixer till it breaks into crumbs.
- Dry roast it in a pan till slightly browned.
- Take it off heat and add the dry fruit powder, cardamom powder, milk powder and put it back in the vessel over heat.
- Add 5 tablespoons of condensed milk to it.
- Let it cook for 2-3 minutes till it becomes slightly dry. Take care to see that it doesn’t stick to the bottom.
- If it feels sticky, add another tablespoon of milk powder.
- Let the mixture cool down completely before using.
- In another bowl, take one heaped cup all purpose flour, and add ¼ cup water with ½ teaspoon salt.
- In a small wok, heat 2 and half tablespoon oil. Once hot, add 1 tablespoon of rice flour and let it sizzle for a few seconds.
- Add this oil to the bowl with flour and mix it well. Knead it for 2 minutes. And then keep it aside for 30 minutes to soften.
- After that, pulse it in a food processor for a minute, take it out and knead with hands to bring it together to form a smooth dough.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal balls.
- Roll each ball into a disk and then take it into the palm of your hand. Stuff it with some mixture leaving ½ inch on all sides. Start pinching the corners into petals with the use of your index finger and thumb and middle finger on each side. Make several such petals all around the edge of the disk.
- Then start getting all the petals together by pressing it closer with your fingers. Seal the top and keep it covered with a damp towel till all are done.
- In a big wok, heat 2 cups of vegetable oil. Fry two modaks at a time. Insert it into the oil pointed side down so that once that side cooks a little bit, it won’t open up while the rest of the modak are fried.
- Drain it on kitchen paper and serve.