It was my mom’s birthday last Thursday and a long time back she had told me that she would like the Chocolaty Chocolate Cake on her birthday. So I knew I had to make something full of chocolate! And that had to be done on a weekday early in the morning before going to office.
These days I keep a diary in my bag and carry it everywhere to note down recipes. Because somewhere I see something I like and then when I try to find it back, I can’t! It becomes very irritating. Sometime back I had noted down this chocolate walnut cake recipe. It looked so good, oozing with chocolate to the core.
And dear god, it was one of the best cakes I had ever eaten. The baked goodness of molten chocolate and toasted walnuts. And hardly any flour. Just as much to hold all of it together. Since all the chocolate in here is from real chocolate chunks and no cocoa powder it has an intense flavor, more like a fudge baked in a cake.
And it is unbelievably quick. No sifting. Just mix together the flour and baking powder and melt the butter and chocolate chunks . Whisk the eggs and combine all of it together! Bake. It’s that simple. Plus it can also be doubled or halved easily. Go on, try it..
Choco Walnut Fudge cake
Serves 8. Preparation time: 20 mins Baking time : 30 mins
- 110 gms butter
- 60 gms all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 170 gm dark chocolate
- 2 eggs
- 100 gms brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup toasted, chopped walnuts
- Toast the walnuts at 170°C for 10 mins in an oven or in a pan and then chop them into pieces.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the flour and baking powder and set aside.
- Chop the chocolate into 1/2 inch size cubes (for ease of melting) and melt the chocolate and butter together either in a pan or in microwave oven with short bursts of 10-20 seconds. Let it cool down slightly.
- Whisk the eggs, sugar and vanilla extract to dissolve sugar. It will become slightly light and creamy. Pour this into the chocolate mixture. Stir to combine. Do not overmix.
- Add walnuts and gently combine.
- Pre-heat oven to 175°C. Line a springform pan or a baking tray with parchment paper. It is a delicate cake and hence springform pan works better.
- Fold in the flour mixture and set to bake for about 30 mins.
- A toothpick inserted should come out coated with moist crumbs and not entirely dry.
- Let it cool for 15-20 mins . Release from pan and remove the parchment paper.
This cake tastes awesome just like it is, or with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream.
I sprinkled it with chocolate shavings. And some cherries. You can also drizzle some powdered sugar or cocoa powder on top.
Note : It tasted better after refrigerated for a couple of hours.